I don't know if any of you ever feel like this, but sometimes I just want to go back to kindergarten. Sometimes I think it would be nice not to have to make anymore decisions. Back in kindergarten someone was always there to tell you what to do: eat this, take a nap at this time, play at that time, wear this, be friends with that person and take a bath on this day. The most difficult thing you had to decide was which color crayon you should use to color skin (orange, pink, white?) and the only consequence to your decision is that your mom might think your self-portrait was a pumpkin. I started my new job last week and I am supposed to make all these decisions: what do I diagnose the patient with, how should I treat them, when should they follow up, does this guy really have back pain or does he just want percocet, should I give an excuse note for work, do I tell the 17 year-old's mom that her daughter has an STD, and should I charge this person for not showing up for their appointment. So much of it isn't taught in school. The truth is, I am glad I am not told when to eat, sleep and what to wear, but the most exhausting thing about my job is that there are so many things that don't have a "right" answer.Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Decisions
I don't know if any of you ever feel like this, but sometimes I just want to go back to kindergarten. Sometimes I think it would be nice not to have to make anymore decisions. Back in kindergarten someone was always there to tell you what to do: eat this, take a nap at this time, play at that time, wear this, be friends with that person and take a bath on this day. The most difficult thing you had to decide was which color crayon you should use to color skin (orange, pink, white?) and the only consequence to your decision is that your mom might think your self-portrait was a pumpkin. I started my new job last week and I am supposed to make all these decisions: what do I diagnose the patient with, how should I treat them, when should they follow up, does this guy really have back pain or does he just want percocet, should I give an excuse note for work, do I tell the 17 year-old's mom that her daughter has an STD, and should I charge this person for not showing up for their appointment. So much of it isn't taught in school. The truth is, I am glad I am not told when to eat, sleep and what to wear, but the most exhausting thing about my job is that there are so many things that don't have a "right" answer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
hey heath... i really liked your post. i bet this is a pretty crazy time for you, and it sounds like you have some pretty heavy stuff to deal with. good luck, lady.
ps, i think everything is fixed on our blog now.
Wow- I bet that's tough! Do they give you a mentor or anything? You're awesome! Keep up the great work!
New jobs are always a bit overwhelming. Hang in there! It will get better soon!
yeah . . . I don't envy those decisions. I really like the crayola crayon color "Razzmatazz"
Post a Comment