Sunday, August 3, 2008

Confession

Rich's board score came in the mail last week and I was sitting around last Sunday watching it on the table unopened. The temptation was too much for me so I thought, I won't open it, but maybe if I hold it up to the light I might be able to see what it says. Then as I was holding up to the light I realized the envelope wasn't sealed all the way. I lifted the edge and the only thing I could read was, "candidate does not meet requirements..." I freaked out. What do I do now? I can't call him and tell him he didn't pass, so I decided to seal the letter back up and pretend it never happened. I picked him up from the airport that night and when we got in I told him to open his board scores. I tried not to pace and rehearsed my you-are-still-smart-I-love-you-no-matter-what-it's-okay-you'll-pass-next-time-speech, when he said, "yes, I passed." I ran over to him and said, "what?!?!? Show me where it says that." He showed me and sure enough it said pass. Then I tried to figure out what I saw. I found it, in small print it said "candidate does not meet requirments for certifcation at this time." (meaning he still had finish dental school and take the other two portions of the test before he could practice dentistry). Well, needless to say, I am happy that he did pass and I learned my lesson about snooping in other people's mail.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Congrats Rich! That is a good story.

Andi said...

Congrats Rich! And Heather, I do the exact same thing with Ian's mail all the time so dont feel bad ;)

Jenny Whiting said...

Yeah, i'm glad that he passed! what a relief. we were out of town when Dan's results came, so we had a neighbor open the mail and tell us. it's just good to know. sorry you had to worry about it for a while! :) now on to more tests and stress! yeah, we're down to our last 9 months and there are still lots of hurdles to jump before Dan "meets all the requirements"!

Jake and Jenny said...

HA!!! That's hilarious! Sounds like something I would do... Congrats Rich...that's SO exciting!

Laura said...

Good times! I would have had to hide the envelope to make myself forget it was there. YEAH FOR RICH!

Annie said...

Congratulations! I bet that is a releif to have done and behind you.

joel and laura michelle said...

congrats :)

Anthony said...

Congratulations Rich! You should mail a copy of that to your Bio 150 teacher. Way to be smart, buddy.