Saturday, May 2, 2009
Pride cometh before the fall
Last Thursday Rich (with some help from friends) put my clipless pedals on my bike. For all of those who don't know what clipless pedals are (this is for you, mom), they are pedals that you can connect to the bottom your shoe. Then when you want to disconnect your foot you just twist it to the side and it comes off. The purpose is to give a more complete use of your leg muscles by pushing and pulling with each stroke. ANYWAY...We made plans for a big ride on Saturday and on Friday night I got home from work and Rich held the bike up for me in the living room and let me practice clipping in and out. I fell over onto our couch once (which was pretty funny, considering I was still wearing my skirt from work). On Saturday we went on our big ride and I did GREAT! I didn't fall over once. I was feeling pretty awesome. Then, this Thursday I was at a spin class and was using my shoes and one of the guys in the class asked me if I had wrecked yet. I told him I hadn't and he told me it was right of passage for all bikers to fall off with the pedals. I confidently told him (and Kim backed me up) that I had already made it through a ride without falling and I had a pretty good hang of it. Then I went on a ride with my friend Sara and we get to the first stop sign. I clipped out with my right foot then leaned to the left (which is the foot that I usually clip out). About midway into my lean I realized what I had done, but it was too late. I fell right over and scraped my knee. I am hoping that I now have my fall out of the way and I won't do it again. Cross my fingers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
It takes a real woman to admit this. Thank you.
Welcome to the club Heather.
I really wish I could have seen this. But seriously, who am I to judge? I am even too scared to ride the stationary ones in cycling class!
I am with Alyson, but way to go Heather, I am sure a few people got some laughs. I am picturing it, and yes getting some laughs
I ran into Jenny at a wedding and she told me that you were a career woman now. I was excited to find your blog as I have been tracking a few of my old but young Young Women. It is fun to see the amazing women you all turned out to be! I see your mom once in a while and she tells me no babies yet, school first. That is probably a good idea. It looks like you are extremely happy! Stay that way. Polly Kirton
haha - I have to admit - one of the main reasons I'm scared to cycle outside is clipping in and out. And all those cars that could, you know, hit me.
I'm impressed Heather!! I've wanted to get into road biking....some day:)
Post a Comment